Main Article Content
Tanggamus Regency has strengths in agriculture, plantation, and tourism sectors. However, the district government has chosen the word RATU for city branding instead. Therefore, the purpose of this paper is to reveal the meaning and implementation of the word. The theory used in this paper is Peirce’s semiotics, which reveals the sign, object, and interpretant. This paper also uses the perspective of city branding in conducting the analysis. There are three things obtained in this study. First, as a sign, the word RATU exists in various public spaces in Tanggamus Regency in the form of product labels, locations, and programs. Second, as an object, the word RATU has different meaning references, but the most common ones are R (Ramah/Friendly), A (Amanah/Trustworthy), T (Tegas/Firm), and U (Unggul/Superior). Third, as an interpretant, this word means the most excellent service in community service sector. The concept of RATU has not been fully linear yet with the strengths, potentials, and identity of Tanggamus Regency that the community has understood.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Copyright on any article is retained by the author(s).
- Author grant the journal, right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- The article and any associated published material is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License