Main Article Content
In Indonesia, the profession of traditional dancers is still categorized as a less classy profession. One organization that actively tries to weaken the negative image associated with traditional women dancers is the Ayodya Pala Art and Dance Studio. Through their Instagram account @ayodyapala, the management of the Ayodya Pala Arts and Dance Studio has implemented an impression management strategy to construct a positive image of their members as traditional dancers who are professional, multi-talented, educated, and well-mannered. Through qualitative data collection from five informants who are members of the Ayodya Pala Arts and dance studio, it is known that the assertive impression management strategy used to construct a positive image of women traditional dancers in the Instagram account @ayodyapala. These were identified through the content uploaded to the @ayodyapala Instagram account. The data also showed that the informant realized the importance of the Instagram algorithm as a curator that distributed content to other Instagram users. Therefore, the impression management strategy is being combined with other strategies, such as uploading content on a scheduled basis and using hashtags to increase the visibility of the uploaded content.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Copyright on any article is retained by the author(s).
- Author grant the journal, right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- The article and any associated published material is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License